Horizonte Announces Community Development Agreement with Leading National Industrial Training Provider for the Araguaia Project
LONDON, UK / ACCESSWIRE / July 19, 2022 / Horizonte Minerals Plc (“Horizonte” or the “Company”) (AIM:HZM)(TSX:HZM), is developing two Tier 1 nickel projects in Brazil and is pleased to announce the signing of a milestone agreement between the Araguaia Nickel Project (“Araguaia”) and Brazil’s leading national industrial training provider Serviço Nacional de Aprendizagem Industrial (“SENAI”) for host community skills training. Under this agreement, a key component of Araguaia’s Local Content Initiative, the partners will train and develop local community members in core skills required during Araguaia’s construction and operational phases.
- An agreement has been reached with SENAI, Brazil’s leading national industrial training provider;
- Under the two-year partnership, Horizonte will fund approximately two million Brazilian Reais enabling technical training organisations to deliver more than 390 accredited traineeships in partnership with Universidade do Estado do Pará (“UEPA”), the state university;
- The first round of training has commenced with 20% female participation, 37% of participants in the 18-to 25-year age range, and 58% of participants under the age of 33 years, delivering on the program’s diversity and accessibility objectives, to be further enhanced in future student cohorts;
- 62% of the participants in the first round of training reported that they are unemployed, highlighting the importance of the Local Content Initiative to broader socio-economic development;
- Araguaia is forecasted to employ a peak of more than 2,500 personnel in construction and up to 500 personnel directly in the operational phase, with many to be engaged by local and national contractors;
- Beyond access to direct employment, the development of transferable and valuable industrial skills will enable greater participation by host communities in mine local procurement and supply chains for mining, agriculture and tourism sectors;
- SENAI delivers industry-recognised, accredited training, leveraging strong partnerships with national and state industry organisations; and
- Sustainable local community development is integral to Horizonte’s strategy, as evidenced by this partnership and the Company’s decade-long collaboration and support to local communities since the Araguaia discovery.
CEO of Horizonte, Jeremy Martin commented:
“Local content – both local employment and local procurement – is a critical contribution that mines make to community economic development. In partnership with SENAI, it is our objective to up-skill local community members in industry-certified, market-ready, transferable industrial skills, such as welding and electro-mechanical construction. With these enhanced skill sets, host community members will have greater opportunities to participate in the direct and indirect mine workforce; the potential to supply goods and services to mining and broader industry through locally operated companies; and, most importantly, to strengthen the creation of vibrant regional communities.”
Non-Executive Director of Horizonte, Dr Gillian Davidson commented:
“I am delighted that to enhance the outreach and impact of this initiative, the Company has set targets for program inclusion, diversity and equality. Participation in the program by local women and youth is strongly supported, to ensure that Horizonte, Araguaia and mine host communities benefit from the unique perspectives, diverse skills and socio-economic development that the empowerment of women and younger people brings.”
The partnership program is being delivered as a key element of the Company’s wider Araguaia Local Content Initiative.
Under the initiative, the Company is working with the Brazilian National Employment System to register and create a database of local community members interested in participation in the Araguaia workforce. Existing residents of Conceição do Araguaia and Floresta do Araguaia communities will be prioritised for training and development opportunities.
The partnership with SENAI will fully fund over 390 training courses, targeting specific industrial skills development such as welding, as well as broader multi-industry skill sets such as electrical construction, enhancing opportunities for local participation in Araguaia’s construction and operational phases as well as participation in other regional industry sector supply chains.
SENAI have partnered with UEPA, which will provide facilities for many of the SENAI training courses.
The wider initiative will also incorporate the development of a local supply chain program, aimed at deepening the capacity of existing suppliers and creating new business opportunities in the region.
In another partnership with SENAI, a study has been completed on the potential uses of slag (a benign ferronickel by-product), highlighting its potential for use in construction and road materials. Elsewhere, slag is widely used as a concrete binder. Horizonte intends to support the local community to advance these beneficial reuse opportunities.
For further information, visit www.horizonteminerals.com or contact:
Horizonte Minerals plc
Peel Hunt LLP (Nominated Adviser & Joint Broker)
+44 (0)20 7418 8900
BMO (Joint Broker)
+44 (0) 20 7236 1010
Tavistock (Financial PR)
+44 (0) 20 7920 3150
About Horizonte Minerals:
Horizonte Minerals plc (AIM & TSX: HZM) is developing two 100%-owned, tier one projects in Pará state, Brazil; the Araguaia Nickel Project and the Vermelho Nickel-Cobalt Project. Both projects are large scale, high-grade, low-cost, low-carbon and scalable. Araguaia is fully funded and in construction. The project will produce 29,000 tonnes of nickel per year to supply the stainless steel market. Vermelho is at feasibility study stage and will produce 25,000 tonnes of nickel and 1,250 tonnes of cobalt to supply the EV battery market. Horizonte’s combined near-term production profile of over 50,000 tonnes of nickel per year positions the Company as a globally significant nickel producer. Horizonte is developing a new nickel district in Brazil that will benefit from established infrastructure, including hydroelectric power available in the Carajás Mining District.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT REGARDING FORWARD LOOKING INFORMATION